Monday, March 21, 2005

Weekend wrap up

  • In the Line of Beauty was a well written novel but ultimately left me cold. I was making progress in Will in the World: How Shakespeare Became Shakespeare but our Amazon order just came in and I will have to start A Spectacle of Corruption at lunch. I am a little miffed that I only recently learned that David Liss had a new book in 2004. I am a freak for fiction set in the early 18th century. Dork.
  • We managed to catch up on some movies this weekend, in a feeble attempt to make our Netflix membership break even this month, watching Maria Full of Grace and The Door in the Floor at home on Saturday. On Sunday, we went to the Music Box to see the new film by Eytan Fox, Walk on Water. More on this stupendous film later.
  • We also purchased some furniture for our new home. We bought a sofa and 2 chairs for the upstairs and 2 dressers and 2 nightstands to replace the IKEA crap that is already not much better than firewood. (Eli doesn't even think it's worth donating the old dressers and that we ought to just put it out by the dumpster. I am inclined to agree.) The new sofa and chairs are comfortable without being suburban or clubby. I was looking for simple lines and nothing squishy. And square cushions. For some reason I am irritated with sofa cushions that curl around the arms like a puzzle piece. Quadrilaterals only. We will put our existing sofa in the rec room, so the cats can still squash the back cushions with the weight of their lazy bodies, but I wanted more formal, non-cat-conducive furniture upstairs. The new sofa does not have back cushions, just a nice solidly padded back. The sofa will be covered in a fabric called "thyme" although it does not resemble the color of the herb in the least, more of a darkish beige. There are some burgundy and dark blue threads in the sofa so we went out on a limb and ordered wine colored chairs. I am a little nervous. I think it will look good but, after living with a green sofa for a decade, I was keen on neutrals and only neutrals. As part of the new amenable Mila (yeah right), I acquiesced to Eli's instinct that the wine would look great. After all, he compromised his strange suburban love of leather and sectionals (yuck!) for my need for line, line, line! And a sofa which actually gave back support and allowed the bend of my knees to reach the edge of the seat. Screw tall people, I ought to be comfortable in my own home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home