Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Commuting kvetch

A friend told me that she has never met a woman who didn't think that pregnancy lasted one month too many. Last week, my doctor also mentioned that human gestation is one month too long. I will not make history and disagree. One thing that has kicked into overdrive during this last month is my kvetch mechanism. I just feel like kvetching all the time. About the weather, annoying people, retaining water, the distance my body is from the sink while doing dishes, Theo howling, Cheru eating my hair, Spina abandoning me after only a 2 minute cuddle, the commute to work. Well, the last one at least I feel justified in kvetching about. Oy, let me tell you about my commute last night.
It took me 2 hours to get home since there was a "bomb scare" on the Red Line. Was there a bomb? Of course not. A month ago would anyone have done anything about an abandoned package in a garbage bin? Of course not. In one month will they do anything about an abandoned package? Of course not. When I'm 9 months pregnant and have a baby digging its wee little head into my bladder triggering the nerve that radiates down into my nether regions will they re-route the Red Line onto the el tracks, thus backing up all the Purple Line trains so that even the "leader" train that I was fortunate enough to be on takes almost 2 hours to get to Howard? Of course! I managed to survive and my Knight in Dusty Black Camry appeared at Howard and whisked me away to the safety of a toilet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home