Monday, July 25, 2005

Waiting

Today is my penultimate day at work and I still don't know if I'm getting any disability/severance. Technically, I am not supposed to, but my boss is trying to get me something for saving them the trouble of holding open my position while I pretend I'm coming back. Basically, HR has never had anyone be honest before and is not quite sure how to handle the situation and has passed it on to the CEO. So, I wait, expecting nothing so I may have the opportunity to be pleasantly surprised. Why didn't I just lie, like everyone else? Partly, I just felt like being ethical, partly I didn't want to deal with the possibility that they'd ask to recoup the money when I don't return (which they have a legal right to do, but probably wouldn't bother), but mostly I didn't want to burn any bridges so I can keep open the option of doing contract work in the future.
My boss is downstairs right now, ostensibly discussing a deal, but hopefully he will return with some kind of answer. I was joking that I should just go sexually harass someone so they'd fire me and then give me some severance. And then I could collect unemployment, too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home