Thursday, December 08, 2005

Doctor, doctor give me the news

Yelena had her four month doctor's appointment today. All's well, if you exclude her loathing of having four sharp needles full of irritability inducing substances jabbed in her cute chubby thighs. The poor dumpling is asleep now.
She is healthy, she is developing normally, et cetera. She did her tummy push-up, grunting the whole time, to prove that just because she hates tummy time doesn't mean she isn't progressing well. The doctor did not have an answer as to why she rolled over numerous times in Long Beach but hasn't once since returning to Chicago. I guess she was showing off or liked Gramma and Sabba's living room rug. The doctor also approved of our intention to start her on swimming lessons at 6 months, despite some crappy advice in one of the books I should not be reading warning parents of the dangers of starting your child swimming too soon.
We over-estimated her weight! She is now a robust 14 lbs. 11 oz., 23.5" and head circumference of 41.75 mm. We thought she'd weigh in heftier since when the vet was at our house the vet tech got on the scale with her and said 14+ lbs. and that was about a month ago. But it was a house scale and an imprecise methodology. (Maybe Cherubino is under 19 lbs.?!) Her weight and head are in the 75th percentile, with her height in something like the 30th percentile. We are not a tall people. But we have big brains.
So the mystery is why, if she is still under 15 lbs., is she outgrowing many of her 3-6 months clothes? She is not long and is still within the weight parameters. And I thought women's clothing sizes were crazy.
And on the subject of women's clothing sizes, when I was ordering new short boots I discovered that L.L. Bean now has fleece lined jeans. Toasty! I have a pair of their flannel lined ones but the zipper broke last year, probably in the process of trying to cram my first trimester-but-burgeoning body into them. Yes, I could replace the zipper but, even though they are the relaxed fit, I am not even going to attempt the humiliation involved in squeezing my current post-baby body in to size 4 anything as of yet. (I am short, which is how I ever got away with the size 4 in the first place.) Even with the shoe horn and vaseline. And it is truly amazing how dreadful bigger breasts look in some sweaters. Specifically, my bigger breasts in knits. A girl often wonders about having a larger chest. Let me tell you, now that I am on the other side, B was for Best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home