Thursday, June 01, 2006

Majorly major

Why are all baby toys in major keys? Yelena got a cute little toy tiger xylophone/piano combo from Bubbie when we were in Erie. She likes hitting the keys, just like on our big kids electric piano, but it's in C major, without any accidentals. Ditto her Octotunes octopus. All her musical toys play stuff like "Twinkle Twinkle," which is majorly major. Listen to a kids album and it's all major. Why? Do children intrinsically like the major scale? Do adults perceive it as happier and thus more tot suitable?
Ever since she was tiny -- as opposed to little, like she is now -- Yelena has really enjoyed us playing scales. Like stop playing with the spinning gorilla on the Exersaucer and smiling enjoyment of scales. She particularly grooves on me playing harmonic minor scale or dominant scales/arpeggios in the circle of 5ths. Now, I'm not suggesting she's musically advanced (oh, who am I kidding -- of course I think she's musically advanced. She's got a much better sense of rhythm than that guy who davened Musaf a few weeks back.), but perhaps toy makers should break out of this major mold.

1 Comments:

Blogger suzukisinger said...

haha. good point. A great example of how adults and manufacturers totally sell children out. We think of C major as the simplest key. Hooray!! Let's make all children's instruments simple...easy to follow....no mistakes. It's ridiculous, I agree. Imagine if we actually thought children CAPABLE of dealing with accidentals...of complex sounds and scales. I wonder what would happen then. I'll confess to googling "c major" before posting on your blog. I was intrigued and amused to find that chopin gave his students C major scales to learn last of all the scales. LAST because it was so difficult to play evenly. I think adult ears miss the point. I also think manufcturers have no idea.
Long live creativity....

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home