Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Hey Joe

Saturday night we went to go see Joe Jackson. For whatever unfortunate reason he was touring with Todd Rundgren. The audience was polarized -- it was easy to tell who was there for whom. The record company must have lumped those two together out of perversity, since I can't imagine anyone has both those artists in their Top 10 favorties. Or even 50.
Joe was, as usual, excellent. It was just him in a long jacket at the piano and it was an intimate pairing. He is truly an exceptional musician. As I pointed out to Eli, he never does more than the song needs, which is atypical for someone capable of virtuosity. Sadly, he only played for a bit over an hour, due to the aforementioned pairing. I would have paid double to discard Todd and hear Joe for another hour.
We came from dinner, so we didn't show up at the stroke of 8, since typically opening bands just aren't worth it. Well, we made a boo boo. The string quartet, Ethel, opened and they rocked! Yes, a rocking string quartet. I would definitely try to catch them again. I'm going to go put their album(s?) in my shopping cart right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home