Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Inconceivable

Something hitherto unimaginable has occurred. I wore sneakers to work this morning. Before you jump to conclusions and start to imagine me looking like a suburban secretary coming from the train wearing bulky white socks over nylons, let me elaborate, since something this radical deserves an explanation.
I knew it would happen sooner or later, since my feet are prone to slight swelling in my natural state (natural meaning without a parasitic life form growing in my uterus, although some would argue this is the most natural state in which a woman should find herself), as are my mothers'. Yesterday, the combination of the heat, standing waiting for the el, probably not drinking enough water and the lovely parasite sucking up all my moisture for its own benefit caused my feet to balloon. Especially the right one. I felt like a lopsided clown. I was fine all day and then was in actual pain on the walk home from the el. When I got home, my right foot didn't even fit in my Naot sandals. I've had some shoes feel tight after a flight or dancing for long time, but never painfully swollen just from walking 3/4 of a mile!
By this morning, my foot was better but not normal. I've decided to wear my Tevas to work and then switch shoes once I arrive, but it was pouring this morning and had dropped over 30 degrees, hence the sneakers.
I really shouldn't complain -- our neighbor was due during the summer of 1995, you know, the one when all the old people died in Chicago. (I remember it being over 100 in the middle of the night for weeks.) She said she was so swollen she could press anywhere on her body and it would leave an indentation for a minute.
So, I guess I'm going to increase the swimming, guzzle water, prop my feet up at work off and on, and actually rest for a bit when I get home from work. Hello third trimester!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home