Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Tweet in the morning

Last night I woke up around 4:00 a.m. and couldn't fall back asleep. So as not to disturb Eli with my tossing and turning, and to get away from Theo's purring, I went into the guest bedroom, where I tossed and turned. In our back yard a very loud bird was practicing its song over and over. Tonic-tonic, major third-major third, repeat a few times, tonic-tonic, sustained major-sixth. Yes, it did it a lot. It sounded like it wasn't quite sure about how many times it was supposed to repeat the tonic-major third lick, since it varried between one and four times. Also, a few times the last note came out more like an augmented 5th than a major 6th. Poor bird. No wonder it's not getting laid. It would truly suck to be a tone deaf bird.
As a kid I found a record of bird songs somewhere in my parents' collection. It wasn't vinyl, but that wiggly translucent plastic of freebie records found in magazines. (A friend in high school had one of a Depeche Mode single on flimsy red plastic. It is probably worth about $500 by now.) I remember listening to it for a while. Of course, none of the birds featured on the record would have come by our house, so I'm not really sure what I was trying to accomplish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home