Wednesday, May 04, 2005

So much geekdom, so little time

I am so excited! Isabel just sent me the programming schedule for this year's Wiscon. (For those not geekchic enough to be in the know, Wiscon is the world's leading -- and until recently, only -- feminist science fiction convention. It's over Memorial Day weekend in lovely Madison, Wisconsin.) I almost wish she hadn't, because now I have three extra weeks in which to agonize over which competing panel to attend at any given time slot. I mean, how does one choose between 'Using the Lesser-Known Mythologies,' 'Close But No Cigar: Non-Genre Fiction that's "Secretly" SF&F,' 'Political Correctness, Creative Integrity, Social Responsibility--How Do We Maintain a Balance?,' and 'The Role of the Witch?' And those aren't even all the programs in the 8:45 p.m. time slot on Friday night! If one's idea of a good Friday night is drinking cheap beer and watching crappy TV, I can see how this might not excite. Me, I haven't had such difficult choices since college, when I had to choose between 'Byzantine Manuscript Illumination' and 'Gnosticism and Manicheanism.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home