Friday, June 10, 2005

Next reading

Nextbook posts some author's summer reading choices. (I always wonder whether the implication of "summer reading" is that we don't read in the winter -- reading as a beach activity -- or that we are seeking lighter fare as respite from the humidity. Me, I'm going to finally read Moby Dick this summer -- it will be my first breast feeding book.) The list is good, since it's not fluffy. I'm surprised by Tony Kushner's choice, Amos Oz's exquisitelymoving memoir A Tale of Love and Darkness, since Kushner is renown for his anti-Zionist stance. Amos Oz is far from a Likudnik, but he certainly supports the existence of Israel, something which Kushner professed not to when I heard him speak a few years ago. I was with my friend Jamil and we were both unsatisfied with Kushner's proclamation without any explanation behind it. Kushner also must have been on speed since I've only heard hyper Skittle-eating fourth graders talk that fast. He may have written the best play of the past 20 years, but he was a lousy speaker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home