Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Yelena and the giant ape

Today Eli played hooky and went to see King Kong at Reel Moms with us! (Actually he had a day he had to use or lose but hooky sounds more mischievous.) Two out of three of us cried at the end. Yelena fell asleep right before the climax so I hope the ape lives eternal in her imagination.
When we got to the theatre there were a few dozen moms. Eli was worried that we wouldn't get a good seat, even though I told him that these North Shore moms were probably more interested in The Family Stone, which was also showing. In turns out except for us and Liz and Sella, there was only one other couple with a baby in the entire enormous theater. How anyone could pick a tepidly reviewed movie over the action rave of the year is beyond me, but then again, Skokie.
I do love that Peter Jackson. Naomi Watts is the rare beautiful actress whose intelligence shines through. And let me reiterate my love for Adrien Brody who may have upset Lior Ashkenazi to return to the top of my celebrity crush list. It was an incredibly well done remake that balanced action with sentiment, spiced with Joseph Conrad and cineophile references.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home